Service is a word that we see in our everyday lives. Telephone Service, Food Service, Self Service this, Self Service that, but what does it actually mean. Service can be defined as the action of helping or doing work for others. In our day to day lives people use this word for everything! Just for fun, see how many times you see this word used in just one day. Now how many times to people actually take that to heart. Let's focus in on the auto repair industry, and take a look at some common advertising and slogans used.
Almost every shop talks about there incredible service, or their personable service, or there fast service! It's become so generic, it doesn't mean anything anymore. It's all about the botttom line, all about trying to funnel as many people in the door, and get as many people out! I think the true meaning of service, is to not just do work for others, but to exceed expectations, show them kindness, be passionate, and to focus on the details. Great service isn't walking in, telling them whats wrong, they smile, fix it, bill you out, and thank you for your business. That's just proper etiquette, not SERVICE! How many of you have called your Service Provider, and have not been able to speak with a real person? How many of you have been in line at a store just as the cashier closes there register? How many of you have seen someone go above and beyond in their daily duties at their job to truly serve a customer? I called a business today, and they answered, “Hello, how can we earn your business today?”
No, “Hi, how are you?” It is PATHETIC! The world we live in is about BARE MINIMUM service. Just doing enough to get by and make a transaction happen. Companies brag about service, but then you visit, and get short answers, no help when you need it, they give you what you asked for, and nothing more! THIS ISN'T SERVICE. This is not caring about others.
So what is Service, and how can I apply it in everyday life? True great service is focusing in on the details. Service is first getting the job done right, and going that extra step to delight the customer on every level. What does service mean to CRG? Service is not only fixing your car, but pouring you a cup of coffee, and preparing it how you like it. Service is opening the door for you, Service is caring about YOU and your life, Service is a clean bathroom, Service is a fresh smelling, eye appealing clean environment, Service is walking you to your car in the rain with an umbrella.
If you look hard enough, these companies that truly understand and embrace Service are still out there. Some companies are truly extraordinary, and are leading the pack in Service like Ritz-Carlton. I want to share with you the Ritz-Carlton Values of Service. They are ABSOLUTELY incredible, and an unwavering example of a true commitment to Serving others. As you read through these, think of ways to apply these in your everyday life, apply these in a workplace environment, and share these with your friends.
1. I build strong relationships and create Ritz-Carlton guests for life.
2.I am always responsive to the expressed and unexpressed wishes and needs of our guests.
3. I am empowered to create unique, memorable and personal experiences for our guests.
4. I understand my role in achieving the Key Success Factors, embracing Community Footprints and creating The Ritz-Carlton Mystique.
5. I continuously seek opportunities to innovate and improve The Ritz-Carlton experience.
6. I own and immediately resolve guest problems.
7. I create a work environment of teamwork and lateral service so that the needs of our guests and each other are met.
8. I have the opportunity to continuously learn and grow.
9. I am involved in the planning of the work that affects me.
10. I am proud of my professional appearance, language and behavior.
11. I protect the privacy and security of our guests, my fellow employees and the company’s confidential information and assets.
12. I am responsible for uncompromising levels of cleanliness and creating a safe and accident-free environment.
I encourage you to think about your everyday life, and how you can serve others better. Think of ways to impact your world around you and inspire others. Helping others and service go hand in hand.